Well-being is the new lifestyle
Well-being is a state characterized by a person’s physical, mental, emotional and social health factors. More generally, Well-being is just feeling well.
Well-being is a broad experience; let’s discuss different types of Well-Being:
• Emotional Well-Being: Is defined as the ability to practice stress-management techniques, be resilient and generate the emotions that lead to good feelings.
• Physical Well-Being: Capability to improve the functioning of your body through healthy eating and good exercise habits.
• Social Well-Being: The ability to communicate, develop meaningful relationships with others and maintain a support network that helps you overcomes loneliness.
• Workplace Well-Being: Is the new workplace safety and a holistic outlook for managing wellness, which not only improve engagement, it will drive productivity and create a winning environment.
• Societal Well-Being: The ability to actively participate in a thriving community, culture and environment.
To build your overall Well-being, you have to make sure all of these types are functioning to an extent.
Everyone needs to take care of inner self for his or her Well-being. Lifestyle is not about thinking outer self but also inner self. There is a growing body of research showing that our inner self directly affects our physiology.
The inner self is about what can’t be seen like feelings, intuition, values, beliefs, personality, thoughts, emotions, fantasies, spirituality, desire and purpose. A person should have strong inner self that means he or she will cope well with emotions, are self-aware, have clarity and a good sense of their values and feel a purpose in life. It also means that the person is able to remain calm and resilient in the face of adversity from the outer world.
Here are five important reasons to take care of your inner self:
1. Good mental health improves your physical health & wellness (i.e. good sleep, better immunity, reduced pain)
2. Improved productivity & financial stability
3. Better relationships with family, friends, and colleagues
4. Increased safety (i.e. Safety of people who are emotionally unwell are more likely to be victims of violence or crimes against them)
5. A longer and happier life!
Within the healthcare community our culture tends to separate the mind from the body. If we can shift focus on meditation it would make easier in quieting your outer self with a goal of connecting with your inner self.
People doing meditation or yoga benefits from an increased feeling of Well-being. It used as a way to tune into the body and access and align with the inner self. The more we worked on strengthening our well-being skills, the easier it is to be resilient, take the actions needed to bounce back and continue moving forward.
As growing Well-being is a lifelong pursuit, but it’s totally worth it.